Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sandy Sprint- 5K race for Ovarian Cancer

Last night, my mom and sister Britt came down to my house to spend the night, because today we awoke at 6 am to head over to Fairmount Park for the Sandy Rollman 5K Ovarian Cancer race. I ran it last year in 33 min and had a lot of fun, so I decided to do it again. This year, I ended up walking the first mile with my mom and Britt, but got bored with that so they agreed to let me run ahead. I finished this year in 38 min, which was pretty awesome considering I walked the first mile! I was proud of myself. And I was super proud of my mom and Britt, who basically power-walked the whole thing and came in at 5o minutes. We ran in memory of Mabel Hoover, (my friend Jess's mom) who had passed away from her 12 year fight with Ovarian Cancer this Christmas. It was a gorgeous day for the race, and they had a lot of people come out, so that was uplifting. Hopefully they raised a lot of donations!

Later we went out for a nice lunch, and then finished up with some Maggie Moos ice cream. (yum!) I guess the race and the filling lunch did us in, cause we all came back to my house and crashed for 2 hours. I could barely open my eyes from my nap, I was so tired. Though I didn't sleep well last night, since we didn't get to bed till 11:30 or so, and then I was sleeping on an air mattress with Britt who flops around at night like a fish, and then to make things worse, I awoke at 1 am to incredibly painful spams in my left calf muscle. I tried to shake it out, and then the muscle spasm went up again. It was so painful I actually cried out. My left calf is still really sore from it but it didn't hinder the race at all, so that was good. And hopefully it will be ok when I go to my special bellydance class tonight, with Jehan teaching! The session is "shimmylicous dance and drum solo." I'm excited for it, though I am a little tired from today. Hopefully I can gather enough energy to really get a lot from it and make the most of the lesson. More details on that tomorrow, I guess! For now I'm going to lay down and take another nap before I head out. Enjoy the beautiful weather!

No comments: