Sunday, May 17, 2009

Training

A few years ago, I NEVER, and I mean NEVER, would have thought I ever would have run and finished a race. Any race. And here it is, years later, and I've run and finished TWO 5k races, in pretty decent time, too. Amazing! :)

So my next goal for myself is to run and finish a 5 mile race. And I have already signed up and started training for one! The media 5 miler is a 5 mile race through the lovely town of Media. I'm assuming the proceeds of the race (it's 20 dollars to sign up to run) goes to the town in some way, but I'm not sure. I signed up with a lot of people from my new Church, and apparently, it's a pretty good time. The whole town of Media is out running or supporting the runners, and it's a lot of fun I've heard. It's the third friday of June (I think June 19) at 7 pm.

Today happened to be the first day of training for the 5 miler. Everyone was to gather at Christina and Steph's house (they live in Media, and their house happens to be right on the route, at the 1.5 mile mark) and we'd run the first 1.5 miles of the course today. It turned out that only Phil (a frequent and avid runner) and Steph and I showed up to train. Luckily for me, Steph is also more of a slower, 10-11 mile/hr runner like myself, so that was nice to know I wouldn't be left behind! But it was nice to have Phil there, because he pushed us more than we would have otherwise. I didn't know what the course was like, but apparently, it's a 2.5 mile loop run twice through. It's a nice course, but it does have a couple big hills- the worst one being right before Steph and Christina's house. :P The first 1.5 mile is the hardest, so it was nice to run it today and see what it was like. And I surprised myself but keeping up with Phil and not feeling too winded by the end of the 1.5 mile mark! Yay! Of course, that's only about 1/3 of the way for the whole race, but still, that's a good start. I still have a couple weeks to train yet. I'll definitely try to keep running on my own... I'll have to run outside, though... training on a treadmill just isn't the same. Our next training day (together) is two weeks from today, and we're going to run the entire 2.5 mile loop once through. The next week, we'll do 4 miles, and the week after that, the whole course. Then it will be race day! Hopefully I'll be ready by then! :) Keep reading to see how I do!

No comments: