Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Upcoming events and God's blessings

So after coming to CFC, my social life has greatly expanded! There are so many fun events coming up that I'm really excited for. And as a member of two community groups (Monday night Newtown Square and Tuesday night Media) I have even more opportunities for fun events! Monday night group is my "home group".... it was the one I first attended. I started going to the Tuesday Media group to get to know more people. It's funny, both groups compliment each other very well. Some days I get more fellowship from the Monday group and more leadership/wisdom/mentorship from the Tuesday group, and other times it's reversed. I love it and I love all the people in both groups! They've been so awesome. :)

Upcoming events that I'm so excited for are as follows: this Saturday, we're going to a conference out in Lancaster called 1 single Day.... it's for singles aged 20 and up, and it's held at the farm of Crossway Church of Lancaster. I've never been there, but lots of my friends from CFC highly recommend it. I'm going to head to Jason's house (the leader of my Monday community group) for breakfast, and then we're carpooling to Lancaster. On Monday, the community group is meeting at Phil's house for pizza, and then going bowling, sweet! :) I haven't been bowling in so long but I love it! I can't wait!

Labor Day weekend will be upon us, and my family is packing it full of fun, since it will be the last hoorah before my grandparents head back to Florida, so I'm really looking forward to that. The weekend after is my birthday (26- don't know how I feel about that :P) and then the next day is the big chicken bbq at CFC. And Sunday Sept 20 is a special zills (finger cymbals) class for bellydance that I'm really looking forward to... oh which reminds me, I bought a sword! Now I can practice bellydancing with a sword on my head, it's so awesome! :)

Anyway, these are some of the fun events coming up for me.... I'll try to remember to keep updating as I go!

Onto the God's blessings part of the blog.... as I said before, I've been really trying to deepen my relationship with God, by reading my Bible and doing my devotions and praying more.... and I feel the changes in me already. It's been awesome. :) But life isn't always rainbows and kittens, and bad things happen too.... and last night, as I was headed to Tuesday night community group, my car sort of broke down. I say sort of because it didn't completely die, it was just really sputtering and lurching... it happened as I was idling at a red light... right at Rt 1. Thankfully, I safely crossed over Rt 1 and pulled my car into a convenience store lot. Thank God for keeping me safe! Breaking down in the middle of Rt 1 would have been a disaster... I don't even want to think about it. After calling triple A for a tow, I found out my membership expired. But they could renew it over the phone, thank God for that! Then the tow guy arrived (and I didn't have to wait too long, either) and was SO nice. He stopped at a Wawa to let me pull out cash to pay him, and then drove me home to my house so I didn't have to walk the 1.5 miles back to my house from the shop we took my car to. Thank God for that! THEN my roommate actually had to work morning shift (9-4) at Borders today, so he could take me to work and pick me up... Thank God for that! And the best part? I got a call at 11:20 am from the shop, saying my car was fixed, it was just a broken vaccum line, and the total was only $100.65. Thank God for that! God was so good to me. When everything first happened, I was so tempted to cry and get angry over my situation, but right away I decided to look at the bright side and blessings of things (I was in a safe location, my car hadn't completely died, that sort of thing) instead of crying the blues about the bad stuff. I also tried to remember that I should just be thankful I have a car- in my devotions I've been doing lately, I've been exposed to how blessed I am, and how little others have. So many are starving, have no place to live, are sick or dying, are forced into slavery either in workhouses or sex trade rings... the list goes on and on. How can I cry about my situation when there are so many others who are suffering so much more? They would love to have a car, broken down or not. They would love to have a broken car be their worst problem! I was put in my place right away, which made it so much easier to see the blessings in the midst of my small troubles. And look- God was so kind to me. I only pray that I would be able to sing of God's blessings had my situation turned out differently and hadn't been so good- that's the mark of a true believer. I pray that I can keep growing, that God keeps refining me, so that when real troubles come, when I'm in the midst of really bad storms, that I can still sing praises during those times, that I can still say "It is well with my soul."

No comments: