Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More words of wisdom :)

Continuing my time of trying to prepare myself and learn more about relationships and marriage, I met with a younger couple from my Church, Brian and Mary Hand. I had a wonderful time of fellowship with them, and learned a lot about relationships in general. Like Pam and Steve, they gave me a lot to think about and I feel very blessed to not only know them, but to count them as friends and to have been able to speak so candidly about questions, worries, concerns, and general thoughts about relationships.

From Brian and Mary, I learned that key aspects to any relationship are good communication, flexibility, and the ability to compromise with one another. They mentioned that while marriage is wonderful, a true gift from God, (who should be at the center of the relationship, first and foremost) it isn't a fairy tale either. There are hum drum days, just like when you're single. As Mary said, it's not this utopia that will all of the sudden make your life complete and wonderful. It does take work, and also, it's good to check yourself and make sure you're not putting these unrealistic expectations on the other person. Also, they couldn't speak more highly of pre-marital counseling. They actually went to Pam and Steve for their pre-marital counseling, and said it definitely helped prepare them for marriage. Pam and Steve went over hard questions that most people don't think of or want to face, and it's good to think of these things before entering into the commitment of marriage. Accountability in general is a good thing when entering into a new relationship as well. Getting outside perspectives can help affirm a good relationship, or help you see clearly that something may not be the best thing. Mary also said something very wise that stuck with me tonight- "no matter how lonely you may feel when your single, entering into marriage with the wrong person will be so much lonelier."

Brian also wisely mentioned that in my love for my family, one of the things I can do to prepare myself for a future relationship is to look for someone family oriented, as well. Also, to be prepared (if entering into marriage) to start a new family, and be able to make my husband my first priority, not my parents. Which is true and a very good point, and something I've recognized recently. I'm enjoying my time with my parents now, knowing that in the future, whenever it may be, I may not have the freedom to visit as often as I do now, so I treasure the moments I have with them now.

Overall, I had such a great time with them and I really learned a lot. It's been great to be able to glean such wisdom from these two couples and I've been blessed so much already. I hope for any singles reading my blog (or even married couples!) these words of wisdom help you as well. :)

No comments: