Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thunderstorms and rainy days

As I sit here writing, I am lulled by the sound of rain pattering on the roof, and thunder rolling in the background. There's just something about summer afternoon thunderstorms that I like. Something about the daytime makes them almost peaceful, relaxing, instead of scary. The best part is watching them roll in, with the clouds darkening and the air getting heavy and thicker. The way the world just feels like it's waiting. Waiting for the moment when the clouds just let loose and the rain pours down and the heavens rumble with the cracks and groans of lightening. I like the way the rain is warm on your face, instead of cold and harsh, like during winter and early spring rain. Best of all, I love the way the world feels after it rains. The dewy, earthy smell after it rains is so refreshing. The earth is clean and sparkling. Sometimes rainbows peak through the clouds if the sun pushes through to dry up that afternoon rain. I like hearing the drip, drip, drip off the rainspout once the storm has rolled on. It's such a good time, and I love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhh thunderstorms.

but i think my favorite still has to be watching a lightning storm from our house. although its slightly creepy with all of the trees around our house, it's still SO freaking cool!