Saturday, July 5, 2008

A new and better Jen

This week, I tried to put into practice some of the things that I recognized I needed to do in regards to being a healthy single woman. With Pam and Steve's words of wisdom in mind, I took a good look at myself. This week, I decided to try to start tearing down walls of my single life brick house I've been building up around me. To do this, I realized I would have to start taking the focus off ME. That's a big reason why singles have a hard time in relationships, they're so used to thinking about themselves that it's hard to be conscious of another person. I know that I've become like this, so this is something I'll definitely need to work on. So, I emailed my friends Rachel and Pat and asked if they wanted to get together- they've lived so close to me (only in Devon, PA) for almost a year, and I never met with them! So Thursday I went to their place. I had a great time. It was nice to catch up over dinner and meet their adorable pets- Molly, a rambunctious chocolate cocker spaniel, and Tug and Miaggi, two calico cats (brothers) with opposite personalities but both were sweethearts. I got to try my hand at guitar hero for the first time ever- and like I knew I would, I really sucked. :) But it was a good time anyway. :)

Also, I tried to start really paying attention to people at work, and my roommate. Instead of just breezing by with a quick "hi, how are you" I tried to take the time and actually stop and listen to them. To see how they've been. To listen to what they did over the weekend and care about it. I'm unfortunately one of those people who loves to talk and so isn't always listening when someone else is talking to me, because I'm eagerly awaiting my own turn to talk. It's a bad habit which I'm really going to work on.

Overall, I felt better this week. I felt like I was reaching out to others, instead of waiting for them to reach out to me. I felt like a better friend and co-worker and roommate this week. It's a good feeling that I'd like to continue. I'm sure there will be times when I lapse into my old behavior, but I hope to persevere. Cheers to a new and better Jen! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've gotta try that.... I mean, I'm pretty personable, but I know what you mean about loving to talk. I think we usually dominate the converstaions..... maybe when school starts i'll get more courage up to do that