Saturday, November 8, 2008

What do you say in a moment like this?

I remember a country song sung by Reba a few years back titled "What do you say." It was a sad song, and it's so true. I didn't realize how much till today.

I spoke to my dear friend and former college roommate Jess on the phone today. The poor thing is dealing with so much right now, more than anyone should have to handle. Her mother (whom she is really close to) has been struggling with ovarian cancer for years. However, the struggle has been much worse lately. Jess was speaking to me while at the hospital, at her mother's side. The doctors give her about 6 months now, if that.

On top of this, Jess has been going through a divorce that her husband has been making incredibly difficult. He seems to be getting some perverse pleasure in dragging it out and making her miserable, probably to punish her for divorcing him (although she had good reason to.... I won't air her private affairs on here, just trust me on this one). Some other things besides the divorce have had Jess struggling mightly with financial issues, as well.

My heart was (and still is) breaking for her. She is under so much stress and worry and anguish. I don't know how she feels, and don't know what to say or do to help her. "I'm sorry, I'll be praying for you" just doesn't seem sufficient. And it really sucked being on the phone, because I couldn't even give her a hug.

I'm so sad for her, hurting for her. I feel so helpless to do or say anything that could possibly help her or make her feel better. I will be praying, and will try to make myself available to her whenever she needs anything, but that may be a little difficult during the week as I'm in Ardmore and she's in Lancaster. Still, I'll do what I can. I just wish there was more I could do.

For any believers out there, please keep my friend Jess and her family in your thoughts and prayers. I know they could really use them.

No comments: