Sunday, February 8, 2009

My new roommate

So, I thank you Britty and Katie for giving me advice! And I have decided to go with Chris as my new roommate. I really got along well with him, and quite frankly, I am sick to death of showing my apartment to people who seem interested and then don't take it for some reason or other. I am very glad I'm not a real estate agent. And another reason I decided on Chris is because it helps me out of my comfort zone. I tend to be a very safe person, I don't like living on the edge and making risky decisions. I tend to rationalize and think things through. I don't like feeling uncomfortable for any reason.

But when I think about times that I've either been forced out of my comfort zone or wandered out on my own, I didn't die. Lighting didn't come down and strike me, I was never so miserable I was scarred for life. Usually, I found out that when it was all said and done, I had a good time, or I learned something new, or I changed for the better in some way. One recent example is fitness in my life. I was gradually changing things about me in areas of diet and fitness to become the best me I can be. However, at the gym, I started to stall. I was hiding out in the upstairs room that had limited weight (only 25 lbs) and I stopped seeing changes because I wasn't working hard enough anymore. I needed heavier weights to change again. But that meant going down to the first floor weight room, which was very scary to me. That's where all the ripped guys and girls were who really looked like they knew what they were doing. I didn't feel I belonged there... I didn't want to look foolish. But then I read an article by one of my favorite health and fitness gurus :) Brad Pilon. And in his article he was saying that if you never get out of your comfort zone, you'll never change. It's a matter of your priorities and what you really want for your life. Right there, I realized he was right. I still wanted my body to change, so I knew I'd have to buck up and head to the first floor weight room. And you know what? No one laughed at me. No one stopped and stared and made me feel weird or strange or like I didn't belong. I could work out better (and made some new friends in the process) and change for the better. And I'm really glad I did.

In the case of my new roommate, I'm apprehensive only because I don't know what to expect. Besides for my Dad, I have never lived with a guy before in my entire life. But I think it will be an interesting experience from which I can learn a lot. Perhaps living with Chris can help better prepare me for learning how to live with my future husband (if I ever get married). I've learned how to live and compromise with other girls, now maybe it's time to be tested if I can compromise sharing living quarters with a guy. While the process may be uncomfortable for me at times, I think I'll learn a lot from it. The best part is, if worst does come to worst, I can always move out. I'm hoping though that it doesn't come to that! :)

So, thanks everyone for their prayers and concern and advice for me during this time of roommate searching. I've really appreciated all your help!

No comments: