Saturday, February 28, 2009

I don't wanna gain the whole world, and lose my soul

This morning as I showered I had a great prayer time with God.

It's such a peaceful time, and a perfect time in my day where it's just me talking with him, no interruptions. And I was very honest in my prayers today.

At the beginning of this year, with resolutions being made by everyone, I took a good, hard look at myself. (See my January 5th Resolutions on a Roll blog). And I realized I didn't like who I was. I was full of unforgiveness, bitterness, anger, resentment, and jealousy, towards many different people. I wanted to change. I've often said I wanted to change, but I guess I didn't really mean it. This time, I did. At the beginning of this year, I really laid my heart out to God and told him of my desire to change. I really wanted to be able to forgive these people who hurt me, because only then could I be free from this bitterness and grief, and only then could I really forgive myself.

And you know what? God really has been working in me. Looking back on these past two months, I've felt lighter, better. I can feel the change in me. I've been able to think of certain people with better feelings, so I've been feeling better all around. It's amazing to see how the health of your heart can affect your whole spirit. It's so easy to lose focus on that, and slowly, your soul slips away from God, leaving you sick and miserable. I know, I felt that way. It's so much better to let go of everything, be it physical, material, mental or emotional things, and give it all to God. I love the song by Toby Mac that says it so well- I don't wanna gain the whole world, and lose my soul.

I encourage everyone to take a good look at themselves and their lives and see areas where they need to change. Things in this life are so transient, they pass away in an instant. Better to focus on the eternal, which is lasting and forever.

Peace and love!

No comments: