Monday, October 20, 2008

Corn chowder and Halloween sugar cookies!

Sunday was a great day! Since my aunt had a ton of corn fresh from the field, we took some to make homemade corn chowder. Yummmmm. I love it, but most of all, I loved the time I had making it with my mom. She used to make it all the time for our high school to sell in the snack bar at our football games.... it was always one of the first things to go. :)

After we made the corn chowder, we made sugar cookies! I love them, and it's a tradition in our house to make sugar cookies for the holidays. We have cookie cutters for Halloween, Easter, tons for Christmas, Valentines Day, and all the national holidays like Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Independence Day. It's so much fun making the cookies! And they are so delicious. For our halloween cookies, we made cookies in the shape of pumpkins, bats, and cats. We made little jack-o-lantern faces with sprinkles and icing for the pumpkins, and even for the bats. I took some into work to share and got rave reviews. :) And last December, I made homemade sugar cookies in the shape of Elmo for my former lab manager. They were for her son's preschool class to celebrate his birthday. That was quite an effort, since I had to handcut the cookies ( I didn't have a cookie cutter in the shape of Elmo) and I had to be very detailed in the icing and decorating so people knew it was Elmo. Thankfully, they came out great. :) In fact, here's a picture!


Anyway, after all the corn chowder making and cookie baking, we watched a home movie of Christmas in 1990. It's so funny seeing how people have changed since then! It was a great way to end my absolutely wonderful weekend. I had such a great time. And I can't wait for this weekend either, because the Hanson concert is Sunday! Can't wait!!!! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know, i'd just like to say that i never did get to eat any of those sugar cookies!!!! they were either pilfered or eaten by the time i got home last weekend, which actually makes me very sad :(