Saturday, October 11, 2008

The beauty of Haverford College

Wow..... who would have thought we'd experience such gorgeous weather in the beginning of October?? Although I'm looking forward to the advent of cooler weather so I can finally wear the awesome new winter coat I bought recently at Target, I'm willing to put it off a bit to enjoy some last minute wonderful fall days! :)

Today was a free day all for me (though I fear those days shall soon be coming to an end, since I've been looking and applying for a part time job) so I wanted to use it well. I slept in, read a good book, ran some errands, and took a long beautiful walk outside to fully soak up the delightful weather.


I'm not sure if I've written about it here, but if I did, I apologize because I'm going to say it again- Haverford College, which is literally a block from my house, is a gorgeous campus and a veritable treasure trove in terms of the beauty of nature. I'm constantly amazed and awed by the beauty that is there, since it's an island of serenity amidst the chaotic busy-ness of the urban jungle that surrounds it. The entire campus is lovely, and I truly explored it today for the first time. All the buildings are stone, (the pic to the left are buildings on their campus) and have such an old feeling to them when you see them for the outside. I felt like I was walking around castles and fortresses of ancient times. They even have lamposts with lamps that you would have seen in colonial times! I walked past their library- Magill Library, I think it's called, and I would have loved to have gone inside. (I would have loved to see it from the inside to determine if it was nicer than the library at Mansfield University... I LOVED that library.) From the outside, it looked like a cathedral-castle, tucked into the trees the way it was, with high arches and barred windows.... the entrance to get there even had a stone curving bridge-type walkway that gave me the feeling of approaching the entrance of a castle. (See the picture below). It's also a much larger campus than I first thought. I walked around a for a good hour and I don't think I saw the entire campus.

The nature trail is a bit of heaven for me. When I walk it, I feel at home. If ever I'm feeling homesick for Berks county and my parents house, that's where I go. It feels like I'm back there again, walking on the beaten dirt trail covered with leaves and erupting tree roots, as you follow the path of the creek that's there. I love it so much, and today was no exception. It was so nice to just walk under the trees with the warm sunlight filtering through, listening to the birds chatter in the trees above me, feeling like I was at home. This picture to the right isn't of the nature trail, but it's of a scenic spot next to the library. It sort of reminds me of something out the "The Secret Garden." :)


On college ave, (pic below) the long entranceway leading to the campus from Lancaster Avenue, there's a huge elm tree with a bench underneath it. In the spring and summer, when the leaves are there, you could sit under the tree and no one would even be able to see you. It's pretty close to the duck pond that's at Haverford, and sitting at the bench today made me nostalgic for Millersville. Millersville also has a beautiful campus, with a lovely pond in the middle of it (nicer than the pond at Haverford, since it's centrally located and has much much lovlier landscaping around it). I used to sit on a bench under a gorgeous cherry blossom tree that grew next to the Millersville pond, the one that sat a few feet away from the gazebo that was there. It was tranquil and wonderful. I loved to sit there a few moments when I found myself especially stressed from school. It was fun to watch the ducks and the antics of the crazy, fearless squirrels (which I noticed Haverford has in abundance as well!) and just to take the time to think things through. We also had some huge shade trees surrounding the pond that reminded me of the Elm I sat under today. Sadly, Millersville had to cut down the one tree because it was so old it was in danger of falling over. I was sorry to see it go.

Anyway, it was a wonderful time today for me to reminisce and just enjoy the scenery around me. I hope everyone else took advantage of the gorgeous day today! :)

No comments: