Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mice and Jesus

Sometimes, I can find God in the simplest things.

I love my mice at work. I don't think I would like my job nearly as much if I didn't get to play with them and take care of them every day. I adore the young pups when they're around 2 weeks old. They are just so adorable and soft and funny to watch. Around two weeks old they're dubbed "popcorn mice" because they're so jumpy, they bounce everywhere, like tiny little Tiggers (from Winnie the Pooh). Yet I love my old mice too, I have two boys who are going on 10 months old who are so fat. I'm not sure why, they don't have special food to make them that way, or have a genetic knockout or anything. But they look like black beanbags, they're that fat. If I hold them, they take up the entire palm of my hand. It's pretty comical to see. Anyway, young or old, I take good care of all my mice and love each one.

But sometimes it's hard to love them, because as we're using them in the context of research, I need to study them and yes, sometimes sacrifice them. It's here where I'm reminded so much of God.

The mice remind me of Jesus. It seems funny, but it's true. The mice are sweet and innocent, and have been born into the lab for a purpose, and that purpose is to save human lives. Like Jesus, they are innocent creatures who were born to die, to save us. Now of course, I'm NOT saying that the mice are in any way equal to Jesus and all that he did for us, I'm just saying that as I work with my mice, I'm reminded (and so thankful and grateful) for the sacrifice Jesus made for me.

And in a tiny way (again, NOT equating myself with God) I'm reminded of how God must have felt to see Jesus on earth. To watch over him, and take care of him, all the while knowing his purpose and then letting it happen. It can be really hard, and I'm sure God's heart was breaking as he watched his son suffer for all the wrongs we've done. My heart breaks a little every time I have to take a mouse. I have to always remind myself of the people who will benefit from this little life.

So to end this blog, I think it's a good reminder for us to be thankful for all the sacrifices made for us- for the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for us, and for the small sacrifices these research animals make for us.

No comments: