Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Freedom

So, I finished the book "A Scandalous Freedom" by Steve Brown. It had a lot of good points and gave me a lot to think about. There's a lot that Christians do that binds us and inhibits our freedom. One thing that binds us is fear of how others view us- whether they are Christians or non-Christians. We pretend to be something we're not in order to please those around us. That definitely clicked with me, because I've done it enough.

Well, you know what? I've had it with pretending. On BOTH sides. I've pretended to be something I'm not to my Christian and non-Christian friends, and it's tiring and frustrating and sad, really. I'm tired of caring what they'll think. I'm tired of feeling like I'm "too good" for my non-Christian friends and not good or holy enough for my Christian friends. I'm just me, accept that and if you don't like it, fine. But then don't pretend to be my friend either. I really don't care who likes me or doesn't, but one thing I positively cannot stand is people who I KNOW don't like me yet pretend to like me because "it's the polite thing to do." For instance, I was at a bridal shower recently and I was basically surrounded by people I didn't know, or people I didn't like. And for the people I didn't like (who I know don't like me, either) I avoided, because I didn't want to face their fake niceness with their phony smiles plastered on their faces all the while knowing they'd rather be bitten by a rattlesnake than be in my presence. It physically makes me sick. Which is why I don't do that. I just ignore people I don't like.

I know there are people who will read this who will think to themselves, "well, that's not a very Christian attitude to have." But COME ON. Do YOU like everyone? Isn't it better to be honest and just leave that person alone, instead of pretending? (They know you're pretending, believe me.) No earthly person can love everyone, let alone LIKE everyone!

I have never said I am a great person. (And I'm not). I never said that I am an easy person to love. (And I'm DEFINITELY not). Nor have I said I'm the best Christian. (And again- I'm definitely not). But thankfully, the only one I have to answer to is God. He's the only one who has any right to judge me (being sinless himself) and the best part is, despite all my mistakes, and despite not being the greatest person, or the best Christian, or the easiest person to love, he loves me anyway. Don't worry about me and my faults, I'm sure you have enough of your own. But don't worry! The only one you have to answer to is God, who loves YOU anyway.
So don't worry what I think of you. Or anyone else, for that matter.


You know what? I feel more free already. And I'd apologize for offending people who may not like what I have to say, but... I'm not sorry. So if I've offended you, and you are my friend, I really hope we can still be friends despite our differences. And if I've offended you and you're not my friend, then I've nothing to lose.

No comments: