Sunday, June 1, 2008

Officially a blogger!

Hey Everyone!

After blogging on myspace for quite a while (check it out at myspace.com/blossomjp) I've finally decided to create my own blogspace. Sometimes I write about serious things, sometimes silly things, sometimes happy things, sometimes sad things. Whatever is on my heart at the time comes out in my writing. For anyone who reads my blog, feel free to send me comments whenever you like! :)

Currently I'm reading a new book called "A scandalous freedom" by Stephen Brown. It's definitely interesting, and sometimes confusing, because he's breaking down ideas that have been drilled in my head since I was young. It's about how we as Christians should be free, totally free, but we completely bind ourselves with rules and regulations and get caught up in all the legalistic stuff. According to the author, the pretense we Christians portray is what turns non-Christians away, not hypocrisy. One great section of his book I'd like to share.

"Abraham Lincoln went to a slave market and he bid and won a young African American woman. When she came to him he simply said, "You're free" and turned to walk away. The woman was incredulous.
"What is free?" She asked. "Does that mean I can say what I want to say?"
And Lincoln replied, "Yes, you are free to say what you want to say."
And the woman then asked, "Does that mean I'm free to be what I want to be?"
And Lincoln replied, "Yes, you can be whatever you want to be." And then the woman asked, "Does that mean I can go wherever I want to go?"
And Lincoln smiled and said, "Yes, you can go wherever you want to go."
The woman's eyes filled with tears as she said, "Then I think I'll go with you."

This story illustrates what Jesus did for us. We were bought with a price, and we now have a new master. One who set us free after he paid the price."

I really liked that passage, I thought it was a great illustration.

Anyway, I've only just started the book, but as I read on I'm sure I'll be writing about more ideas I've learned from it. Stay tuned! :)

No comments: