Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fabulous Birthday Weekend!

Unfortunately, both my sister and I forgot our digital cameras (stupid, I know!) and while we did take lots of pictures with store bought disposable cameras, I can't post them here, bummer. You'll just have to use your imagination.

Anyway, we got off to a later start on Friday then we wanted, so we didn't reach the beach house until 10:3o pm. However, what a beach house! It was so nice. Way nicer than what we normally stay in at a beach. Actually, Ocean City is just way better for us, considering most of my times at the beach have been spent at Wildwood, NJ, because my younger sister's twirling squad would perform on the boardwalk one week every summer, so.... that was our vacation. So coming to a fabulous large new beach house in lovely Ocean City already made the weekend great! It was so incredibly sweet and generous of Catherine (my landlady) to allow us to use her beach house free of charge for the weekend. She is so nice.

So if the lovely beach house wasn't enough, we had fabulous weather Saturday and Sunday. Sooo nice. Sunny, warm, a nice breeze coming off the ocean.... ahhh. Saturday morning we got up and had breakfast at some restuarant on the boardwalk, then browsed some of the shops a bit. Then we hit the beach! It was so nice. The water was a little cold, but it felt refreshing after laying out in the hot sun. We stayed on the beach for 4-5 hours or so, then headed back to the beach house to get cleaned up for dinner. We ended up at Jay's crab shack.... it was delicious, and the owner (that'd be Jay) was really friendly. We had a good time. We then headed back to the boardwalk, where we played mini golf, and I actually won! That's amazing, as I normally really stink at mini golf. Then we went shopping again, picking up some fudge at Laura's fudge shop (BEST fudge ever, their snickers fudge is my favorite!) and of course, hitting up a pirate store! Both Britt and I got pirate-related T-shirts, I got a cool leather bracelet (reminds me off my college friend Nikki.... man I miss her!) and I also got a "I heart Pirates" vinyl sticker that is now plastered on the back side window of my car. :)

Sunday was very much the same as Saturday. We awoke to gorgeous weather, then headed to the boardwalk for breakfast. Breakfast was not nearly so healthy as Saturday, since we passed a monkey bread stand and were hooked. Monkey bread, for anyone who hasn't had it before, is absolutely delicious. It's sort of like cinnamon rolls. It's small pieces of dough rolled in balls that are all stuck together. They're coated in butter and cinnamon sugar and brown sugar and baked so it's all gooey and melty and delicious. You can put icing over it or eat it just so. I learned how to make it many years ago when I was in girl scouts using an oven made out of a cardboard box with coals inside. I kid you not. Thanks to girl scouts, I can make something useful out of almost anything!

We hit the beach again on Sunday, and was treated to an air show over the beach from 1-3 pm. It started by having paratroopers jump out of planes (4 paratroopers in all) and every one landed in the designated spot blocked off on the beach. They had very impressive landings. Much better than I'd have done, I'm sure I'd have landed in the water somewhere. :P

Then there were acrobatic planes.... that was intense! I swear they were going to hit each other sometimes, they got so close.... but they never hit. It was amazing to see all the stunts they did with those planes.... better them than me, though! I'm sure I'd have passed out or gotten sick had I tried to do that. It was so neat to see though.

We were sad to have to leave, it would have been great to stay a few more days, but we had a fabulous time and really made the most of our weekend there. I think the best part was that it wasn't so crowded, now that it's the off season. Though there were plenty of people there, it was that extreme busy-ness that normally floods the summer. I loved being able to walk the boardwalk and not feel claustrophobic!

Anyway, there's my general recap of my birthday weekend. I really wasn't anxious to turn 25, but I must say, this past weekend was a great way to ring it in! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHA you know you won Mini Golf because mom and I really suck :)

lol. and i am SO competitive!
glad you had a good weekend too!