Saturday, September 6, 2008

"Jen's Favs" CD

While I am sadly behind in the times, and do not have iTunes or an iPod or MP3 player or a fancy cell phone or hi-tech computer, both my sisters do have at least one or two of these items. Both of them definitely have (and love) iTunes. For my 25 birthday (eek it's almost here!) my younger sister Britt made me a CD of some of my favorite songs. Now, I am a Christian, and I do love Christian music. However, I love all other types of music as well and I'm not one of those Christians who only listens to Christian and classical music and bans everything else. First off, there is a lot of good music that is not "Christian" and secondly, how can we as Christians relate in any way to people with different beliefs if we closet ourselves up and have nothing in common with them? With that said, this CD actually holds no Christian music (though I have tons of favorite songs of the Christian genre... maybe Britty can make me another CD ;) Anyway, some of my favorite songs include:

-Under Pressure (the version with Queen and David Bowie is the best, I love David Bowie's voice. Despite being utterly creepy looking in the movie "The Labrynth" he completely transfixed me and I've loved him ever since. Weird, I know)

-Peace of Mind (By Boston.... I want to play the guitar so badly just so that I can play the intro to this song)

-Wonderboy (Tenacious D- such a silly song but I LOVE it and can sing it word for word ever since I first heard Mitch, Shaun, and Monty sing it at Karaoke back in college)

-Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns & Roses)

-Adiemus (a haunting song by Enya we performed in indoor guard back in high school- my favorite routine EVER)

-Hero (Enrique Iglesias)

-Mortal Kombat theme song (love that movie... I have a weakness for sci-fi movies and if you combine it with heart pumping music, I'll love it even more :)

-Untitled (Simple Plan). If you haven't seen the music video to the Untitled song by Simple Plan, do it now. Here's the link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lhkCQkhu8 it's such a fantastic video, very haunting, I get goosebumps everytime I watch it. It's a really powerful message and I love the song. One of the most sobering things is how you see how the event in the video affects the whole family.

There are a few more songs on the CD, and I have to give Britt a shout out of thanks because it was an awesome, thoughtful gift. I love it Britty and have been listening to it constantly! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHY THANK YOU MY DEAR, DEAR SISTER!! lol i love shoutouts :) and im glad you liked the cd, it was fun to make and i made a cd for myself as well. if you send me a playlist for your christian cd, i'll see about making another one. though i might need help with some of the songs/cds so i dont have to buy all of them