Thursday, September 18, 2008

What I wonder every day


So sometime back in June I wrote a blog about the Princess Bride (one of my favorite movies, and just one of the best movies in film history) and today I'm going to blog about one of my other favorite movies, Ever After. I LOVE that movie. But my inspiration came from one of my favorite pieces of dialog in the movie, between Leonardo Da Vinci and Prince Henry. Prince Henry verbalizes everything I've ever thought about love in a way I could never seem to phrase. He hits it dead on.

Henry: "Do you really think there is only one perfect mate?"
Leonardo: "As a matter of fact, I do."
Henry: "Then how can you be certain to find them? And if you find them, are they really the one for you, or do you only think they are? And what if the person you're meant to be with never appears? Or she does, but you're too distracted to notice? "
Leonardo: "You learn to pay attention."
Henry: "Then, let's say, God puts two people on earth, and they are lucky enough to find one another. But one of them gets hit by lightning. Well, then what? Is that it? Or perchance you meet someone new and marry again. Is that the lady you should be with? Or was it the first? And if the two of them are side by side, were they both the one for you and you just happen to meet the first one first, or is the second one supposed to be first? And is everything just chance....or are some things meant to be?"

Amen, Henry. I wonder this same thing every day.

No comments: